ServicesAs well as the principal 11.30 a.m. Sunday Family Eucharist Service, a Modern Worship Service is held on one Sunday afternoon each month. On other days, Evensong is normally celebrated on Tuesdays at 18.30 and a Eucharist on most Thursdays (except in August). Groups meet regularly for Christian study and fellowship in the evening.OverviewSt George's Church is the only English-speaking Anglican congregation in Lisbon, Portugal, and is located north of the garden of the Basilica da Estrela.In 1654 a treaty between Oliver Cromwell and King John IV of Portugal allowed English residents in Portugal to "profess their own Religion in private houses ... and that finally a Place be allowed for them to bury their dead".Anglicans in Portugal petitioned for permission to build a church, but until the early 19th century the Portuguese Inquisition prevailed on the monarch not to grant it. The church of St. George the Martyr was finally built in the cemetery in 1822 but burnt down in 1886.The present church was designed by the then well-known London firm of church architects Messrs. Medland & Powell. The building is in a Romanesque Revival style with a narthex, blind arcades and rose window on its east front and took three years to complete. The church was consecrated by the Right Rev. Charles Sandford, Lord Bishop of Gibraltar, on March 17, 1889.In 1984 St George's was amalgamated with St Paul's Church in Estoril to form the Greater Lisbon Chaplaincy which became part of the Church of England Diocese in Europe.Over 80 incumbents have served both churches since the Rev. Zachary Craddock first took up office in Lisbon in 1656. The longest serving Chaplain was Canon Thomas Godfrey Pope, of St George’s, who served for 35 years from 1867-1902, followed by Canon John Humphreys, of St Paul’s, who served for 27 years from 1957-1980.Today the congregation of St. George’s is made up of many nationalities. Some members have been resident in the Lisbon area for many years. Others may be living in the area for shorter periods, on fixed term contracts, studying, or doing business. There is also a regular flow of visitors from many countries.St. George’s church has a strong musical tradition with a fine 19th-century organ, which will be undergoing restoration in 2020. The building has excellent acoustics. We welcome visiting choirs and hold concerts from time to time. The annual Remembrance Sunday Service is well attended by the British Community, as is the Christmas Carol Service led by a choir of members of both congregations and guest singers.Photo GalleryWe have commissioned a professional photographer to take photographs of St George’s Church. The result is 42 stunning shots which showcase the beauty and charm of the church and, in particular, the magnificent stained glass windows.Click on the link to go to the gallery:
The WindowsThe windows, with the exception of the two on the north side in the War Memorial Chapel, were designed by Messrs. Lavers & Westlake of London.The Report of the Committee for Reconstructing and Rebuilding St George’s Church mentions “The Building Committee have asked this Firm to furnish them with a complete set of designs of coloured glass suitable to all the windows. These designs, with the prices, will be kept at the church. Those persons therefore, who may desire to give a stained window or light to the church, will thus be enabled to select one of these designs, as it is most necessary, to ensure uniformity of design and harmony of colour, that the windows should be inserted in accordance with a fixed scheme, and be obtained from the same makers.”It took some years for all the windows to be completed (1910) in accordance with these designs. Some of the windows are actually signed by Lavers & Westlake and so presumably were made in their premises. Other windows, not bearing their signature, may possibly have been made by other manufacturers.The Wheel window over the Baptistry was installed in 1897 to mark the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria’s accession to the throne.